The Community Association of Pakistani Americans of Ohio feels that there is a need to advance positive image of Pakistan among US people and in media. CAPA believes that by encouraging students to do research on Pakistan’s land, geography, history, environment, people, culture, & heritage; next generation of Americans will be able to discover the positive & culturally rich heritage of Pakistan & its people. Advancing the positive image of Pakistan will be an efficient and long-term solution for building bridges between the people of Pakistan & US.
The CAPA-Ohio is pioneering Ohio’s first-ever endowment fund to support scholarships for high school & college students of Ohio. Scholarships will be in lump sum amounts and granted every calendar year in each of the following categories:
College Scholarship: Scholarship will be awarded to two college- bound high school students in their senior year who will write best essays on the topic selected by the Scholarship Committee for that year to highlight positive aspects of Pakistan’s land, geography, environment, people, history, culture, or heritage. There will be two CAPA-Ohio College Scholarships of $500 each in a calendar year.
School Scholarship: Scholarships will be awarded to two high-school bound junior-high school students in 8th grade who will write an essay to highlight positive aspects of Pakistan’s land, geography, environment, history, people, culture, or heritage. There will be two CAPA-Ohio School Scholarships of $100 each in a calendar year.
- These scholarships will be available to all students enrolled in the School Districts located in the Franklin County, Ohio.
- No discrimination will be made on the basis of gender, origin, life style or political & religious beliefs
- For College Scholarship: the applicants must be accepted in an accredited 2- or 4-year post-high school institute (college or university)
- For School Scholarship: the applicants must be committed to pursue a high school diploma
- The successful applicants may be required to attend annual CAPA scholarship night dinner and present his/her paper/essay
The scholarship topics and deadlines will be published on the CAPA-Ohio website and every year. Prior to the deadline, Scholarship committee must receive all of the following from each applicant. (Incomplete submissions will not be considered):
- A completed scholarship application
- One letter of recommendation from the school teacher/advisor
- A resume or cover letter detailing applicant’s work experience, involvement in his/her local community within the past 1-3 years and indicating his/her future career plans, confirming his/her commitment to perform volunteer work to a volunteer organization of his/her choice
- A copy of student’s letter of acceptance into first year program of a post-high school institution (for College Scholarship only)
- A final copy of the essay
Length of Essay
For College Scholarship: Length of essay should be between 3-4 pages (Times New Roman fonts, size 12, double-spaced)
For High School Scholarship: Length of essay should be between 1-2 pages (Times New Roman fonts, size 12, double-spaced)
Applications along with all attachments are due on May 30, 2015. The mailing address to send application package is:
CAPA Educational Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 146
New Albany, OH 43054
Education Scholarship Committee
Educational Scholarship Committee (ESC) will consist of three members
- First member: nominated by the President of CAPA
- Second member: elected from the CAPA BOT/EC by the BOT/EC
- Third member: a technocrats or a person of higher academic experience, caliber, public profile
All papers/essays will be reviewed and awards will be recommended by the ESC
Academic Records: 20 Points
Leadership, community and social activities: 20 Points
Essay (content & quality): 60 Points
The persons with highest total scores will win the award. In case of a tie, the person with high scores on essay will win the tie.
Notification of Scholarship
Successful applicants will be notified personally by telephone, postal mail, or email and published in the local community newspaper as well as on CAPA website. Successful winners of the scholarships may be required to present their essays during the CAPA-Ohio Scholarship night dinner. The scholarship award may only be used towards the academic expenses (including tuition fees, General fees, books, boarding, etc.)
College Scholarship check shall be made to the institution of student’s choice. The student’s name and SSN will appear on the check to ensure proper crediting to student’s account.
High School Scholarship check shall be made in the name of HS student advisor/Guidance Counselor with student’s name and SSN on the check.
All CAPA-Ohio decisions regarding the selection, awarding and distribution of the above scholarships shall be final. CAPA-Ohio has the rights to reject any or all scholarship applications and essays for any reason. CAPA-Ohio will have all exclusive rights to use or publish in any form all essays submitted for this competition.
CAPA-Ohio has exclusive rights to revise its scholarship policy without any notice.
2015 College Scholarship Topic: What impact has the geographic location of Pakistan made on the current situation of Pakistan?
2015 School Scholarship Topic: Prepare a tourism guide to Pakistan giving a list of interesting places to visit with approximate location and description